Redvelvet cake recipe. Historically, red velvet cake was just chocolate cake tinted red from the acid in cocoa powder, not from food coloring. Nowadays most cocoa powders are alkalized, as in stripped of acid. Look for a non-alkalized one for this old-fashioned recipe.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In another large bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla. Make a paste of cocoa and red food coloring; add to creamed mixture. You can have Redvelvet cake recipe using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Redvelvet cake recipe
- It's 350 gm of All purpose flour.
- It's 7 gms of Baking powder.
- You need of Cocoa powder 15gms(alkalized).
- Prepare 2 tsp of 4r red colour.
- You need 15 ml of vinegar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla essence.
- You need 200 gm of Margarine.
- It's 250 gms of Sugar.
- You need of Milk 150ml(app).
- It's 3 pcs of Eggs.
Add the flour to the batter, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Mix soda and vinegar and gently fold into cake batter. It is simple to make and it turned out moist -almost TOO moist therefore it was a bit heavy and I had to adjust the baking time -this is probably due to the fact that the cake mix I used already had pudding in the mix. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
Redvelvet cake recipe instructions
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl(flour,cocoa10gms,baking powder).
- In a small bowl measure red colour,5gms cocoa and 10 ml vinegar form form a paste and set aside.
- Measure milk+5ml vinegar to form buttermilk.
- Cream margarine+sugar until soft then add an egg at a time +vanilla then add your red paste(in step 2 above).
- Fold in the dry ingredients alternating with your buttermilk to form your preferred paste.
- Bake in a preheated oven 170 or 180°c until a clean toothpick comes out clean.
Four stars are for the icing because I didn't use the cake recipe. I use my grandma's red velvet cake recipe that has been tried and true for decades and is a little different from this one. I made it for Christmas last year and have gotten several requests to make it again this year. A moist, classic Red Velvet Cake!! Made from scratch, and surprisingly easy when a few simple steps are followed - watch how to make it in the recipe video.