Angel Food Cake. Sift half of the sugar with the salt the cake flour, setting the remaining sugar aside. Homemade angel food cake is worth the work. It is moist, unlike the sweet styrofoam available in the grocery bakery.
My family enjoys it all year long, either plain or topped with berries and whipped cream. —Lucile H. Proctor, Panguitch, Utah Light and airy angel food cake that's great with berries for shortcake, whipped cream, and more super sweets. There's a reason angel food cake is a favorite dessert —it's tender, light as air, and tastes, well, divine. You can have Angel Food Cake using 8 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Angel Food Cake
- It's of Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- It's of About 9 large egg whites. It is about 1 1/4 cups.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar, divided.
- It's 1 cup of cake flour. I use Swan brand.
- Prepare 1 1/4 teaspoons of cream of tartar.
- It's 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
What's more, it's virtually fat-free and uses just six ingredients. Using a metal spatula or knife, gently cut through the batter, spreading batter gently against side of pan and tube, to break large air pockets. Angel food cake is done when the cake is golden brown and the top springs back when pressed firmly. If you leave an indentation on the cake, it needs to be baked for longer.
Angel Food Cake step by step
- Put egg whites in large metal or glass bowl. Let sit to room temperature..
- Sift 1/2 cup sugar and all the flour twice. Set aside..
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place oven rack on lowest position..
- Add cream of tartar and almond extracts and salt to egg whites..
- Beat with mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form..
- Turn mixer on high and teaspoon at a time, add remaining sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form..
- Gradually add flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time by gently folding in. Do not mix vigorously. It will deflate the egg whites..
- Spoon into ungreased bunt pan or loaf pan. Do not grease! This needs to climb sides while baking. If greased it can not rise to be fluffy..
- I use a 10 inch tube pan. Make sure your pans are big enough. This rises high when baking. I use 2 loaf pans also..
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes..
- Top should be golden brown and feel dry and crumbly..
- Test at 30 minutrs to see if baked through..
- When done, invert cake on top of glass bottle or on sides if using loaf pans. Cool completely..
- Run knife around edges of pan..
- Remove cake. Serve plain or with fruit..
Learn more about this cake doneness test. Why is it called angel food cake? Angel food cake is one of the most versatile desserts we know. It pairs perfectly with fresh fruit or a flavored whipped cream, is excellent with Seven Minute Frosting for a sumptuous no-cholesterol treat, and is unforgettable with a drizzle of warm chocolate sauce. Angel food cake really is the stuff of angels—light, fluffy, ethereal.