cod fish potatoes casserole (portuguese bacalhau com natas ). Creamy cod bake, "Bacalhau com natas" is layered by salted cod, fried potatoes and onion, before topped off with cream and bechamel sauce. Remove the cod and bring the water to a boil. If there's one thing Portuguese cuisine does well, it's comfort food.
Portuguese Baked Salt Cod Casserole (Bacalhau Assado) is a serious dish for serious food lovers. Layers of carefully constructed sliced potatoes, salt cod and sautéed onions (Cebolada) all baked together and topped with boiled eggs and olives and infused with good olive oil to form the perfect balance of flavors, this dish has it all. Bacalhau com natas (literally "cod with cream") is a popular way of cooking salted cod (bacalhau) in Portugal. You can cook cod fish potatoes casserole (portuguese bacalhau com natas ) using 13 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of cod fish potatoes casserole (portuguese bacalhau com natas )
- You need 2 lb of salty cod fish (salty or fresh your choice).
- Prepare 1 kg of potatoes.
- It's 500 ml of wiping cream.
- Prepare 1 cup of millk.
- You need 1 cup of mozzarella shredded.
- It's 1 of egg yolk.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of mustard.
- You need 1 large of onion.
- Prepare 2 clove of garlic.
- It's 1/2 of olive oil.
- It's 1 of dry bay leave.
- You need 1 of salt pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tbsp of flour.
It is an oven-baked dish consisting of layers of bacalhau, onion, diced fried potato and cream. Use of dairy such as cream or cheese is not common in traditional Portuguese main courses. This recipe complete with pictures is courtesy of Sami a Portuguese lady living in Australia! Sami has a great blog called sami's colourfulworld please "click" across and say hi!
cod fish potatoes casserole (portuguese bacalhau com natas ) step by step
- * The original recipe is made with cod fish but can been done exactly the same way with chicken breast and is really good to a do it both ways and is delicious.
- I prefer salty cod fish (more tasty ) if the cod is salty put I'm in water around 48hours change the water often to get rid of the excess of salt.
- put the cod fish in a pan cover with water and boil until cooked.
- after cook take all the bones and skin out and cut the cod fish in small pieces and save 1cup from the cooking stock.
- in a pan add the olive oil the sliced onion the diced garlic and the bay leave ;cook for five minutes and stir often add the cod fish stir well.
- add the he flour stir well and add the milk one cup of the cod fish stock salt pepper and nutmeg to taste ;stir until make cream ;.
- on the side mix the wiping cream the egg yolk the mustard and the shredded cheese.
- add to the cod fish cream ;cook for 10minutes stir often.
- on the side peel and slice the potatoes deep fry them until golden.
- add the potatoes to the cod fish cream and mix.
- put in a oven pan and take to oven at 400°F until golden brown.
- enjoy it is delicious.
- I add a cup of cooked peel and diced shrimp(my personal touch ).
Usually is served with potatoes and paired with a good Portuguese wine. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Remove cod from water, and save water for cooking potatoes. Remove skin and bones from the cod, and flake the meat into pieces using a fork. Set fish aside in a large bowl.