Chicken, Ham and Leek Pie. CHICKEN, HAM AND LEEK PIE Making this chicken, ham and leek pie from scratch feels like an accomplishment, but it's not that hard. This hot water crust pastry is forgiving, too - easy to roll and move around. There's a lot going on in the pie, so serve it simply with boiled new potatoes or mash and a salad.
A chicken and ham mix in a creamy leek sauce topped of with a buttery flaky crust. Heat the chicken stock in lidded saucepan. Pour the cooking liquor into a large jug. You can have Chicken, Ham and Leek Pie using 18 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken, Ham and Leek Pie
- You need of For The Filling.
- Prepare 600 ml of Chicken stock - Flavoured with Herbs (Thyme, Rosemary and Black Peppercorns).
- You need 8-10 of Chicken Thighs - Skinned and Boned.
- Prepare 2 of Large Leeks.
- It's 85 Gr of Unsalted Butter (important if using Salty Pork Hoc).
- You need 85 Gr of Plain Flour.
- You need 50 ml of Double cream (can us whipping cream if not available).
- It's 300 Gr of Pork Hoc - Cooked and Shredded.
- Prepare 2 Tbls of English Mustard.
- It's 75 Gr of Cheddar Grated - I used Mild but up to taste.
- It's to Taste of Salt and Pepper.
- You need of For the Pastry.
- It's 250 Gr of Plain Floor.
- Prepare 1 of Sml Egg.
- It's 45 Gr of Unsalted Butter.
- You need 45 Gr of Lard Diced (or you can use the Chicken schmaltz when making your own stock if you have it).
- Prepare 100 ml of water.
- You need 1 of Egg to Glaze.
Mix the cooked chicken in a bowl with the cooked ham, leeks, peas and parsley. Discard the excess oil from the roasting tin, put the tin directly over a medium heat and fry the onion a little longer if not well browned. It can be baked straight into your EasyMat! Stir the chicken and ham into the cooled sauce.
Chicken, Ham and Leek Pie instructions
- Put Chicken Stock in a saucepan add 5 Sprigs of rosemary 5 sprigs of thyme and 5 peppercorns. Bring to a simmer, then infuse over a low heat for 5 minutes. Then strain to leave just the Stock..
- Add the chicken thighs to the pan, bring back to a simmer and cook gently for 20 minutes. Add the leeks and cook for 10-15 minutes until soft..
- Strain the stock into a clean bowl, and set aside the chicken and leeks to cool..
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute to make a roux. Swap the spoon for a whisk. Slowly add the reserved chicken stock to the roux, whisking constantly to keep the sauce smooth. Continue cooking the sauce over a medium-low heat for 2–3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens..
- Remove from Heat and Add Cheese and allow to melt, add the Cream and mustard..
- Then Return all the Leeks, Ham and chicken to the sauce and stir to combine. Allow to Cool..
- Place the flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Pour in the eggs. Mix on a medium speed until well incorporated- About 30 secs..
- Melt the butter, lard and 250ml water in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Turn the mixer to a low speed and gradually pour in the warm liquid, stopping as soon as a dough forms. (You can do this by hand with a large bowl and Spoon)..
- Spoon the cooled filling into a oven Proof dish, then roll out the pasty so bigger than the top. Place the pasty on the top and push around the edges trimming any excess..
- Brush the surface evenly with beaten egg and cut a small hole in the middle of the top, to allow the steam to escape. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes (or upto a day) to allow the pastry to set..
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. and cook for 35-40min until pastry is golden and filling is bubbling. Take out of the Oven and rest for 5 mins before serving..
Pour the chicken filling into the pie dish. Brush the rim of the dish with beaten egg. Once it's started to simmer, you can add a little more milk if you think it is too thick. Now tip the whole lot to your pie dish. Chicken, Ham, Leek and Mushroom Pie A real winner of a chicken dinner!